Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Business ethics 101

Thankfully during the majority of this process, our stress level has been kept to a minimum. The operative word here is 'majority.' Now I may be a tad naive in my thinking, but I understand that the proper way to do business with another is to do your work, do it correctly, and receive compensation. My, my, how some businesses need a lesson in business ethics...and common sense.

As you might have noticed a couple of posts ago, we were so happy to see our long-awaited cabinets make an appearance. Unfortunately, not all of the cabinets made it to our homestead, but (being the trusting people that we are) we thought that they were still working on another unit for the utility room (because there are two separate units set to reside there). We waited for a week or two, then decided to email the cabinet receptionist lady, who had been our liaison during this whole process and who also just happens to be the owner's daughter. You can see now where the problems are beginning to arise. Over a span of a few weeks, we emailed asking the same question...what about the rest of the cabinets in the utility room? ...what is the status on the rest of the cabinets in the utility room? ...backerboard and baseboards have been placed where the rest of the cabinets in the utility room are suppose to be and some will now have to be removed once we get the rest of the cabinets for the utility room. None of our questions/statements in any form were addressed. In fact, they were blatantly dodged by the lady who 'helped' us up to this point. Now, we would receive responses from her but not a single response addressed our question. Finally, we had to do what we hate to do, be upset customers. It disturbs me how this cabinet shop finally responded rapidly to us when they knew we were upset. Suddenly, it dawned on the lady that in fact we were suppose to have another set of cabinets that we had purchased. Amazingly, she attempts to get the ball rolling so the building of our cabinets, which should have occurred two months ago, could be expedited. However, it turns out they are being built way too wide. In the midst of it all, we realized that the cabinet unit above the washer is much too low; thus, we will not be able to open the lid to the washer. Mind you, not once during this entire process did either Noel or I approve a template for the utility room. Why? Because we were never presented with one. Round of applause for the repeated incompetence of this cabinet shop! I don't believe in slandering a person's nor a business's name. It is distasteful and, frankly, very redneck. Thus, I will not mention their name in this post, but if asked in person Noel and I will gladly tell you who has caused us much grief. If I have mentioned the name of this particular shop in previous posts, then it was only because I was giving them high remarks at that time. 

In all honesty, I do want to give my laid-back husband a round of applause for having to deal with this situation yesterday, my husband who requires a lot to ruffle his feathers. This incident, however, has been ever so trying for him. In this relay race, he today has passed the baton to me, his pregnant, hormonal, and merciless wife (I feel like I'm funneling my mom here). May the force be with that cabinet lady today...

Also, thank you to all of the other subcontractors who have done their jobs correctly and efficiently. We are forever appreciative of your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment