Thursday, March 17, 2011

In the words of Yosemite Sam, "Back Off!"

Stupid viruses! I hate being sick! I despise being really, really sick! It really throws a hitch in your plans. Like my plans to blog last week, completely shut out by a relentless virus. Needless to say, about 500 tissues later, I'm feeling much better and my bloggin' fingers are ready.


Last week Indy's men primed and painted (yes, we actually made some color decisions) the interior house....and (much to our dismay) the garage. We had typed up a list of colors and the corresponding rooms and emailed them to Indy, who in turn gave the list to his painter. Now, the three of us (Indy, Noel, and I) all understood that nothing else was to be done to the garage, because we are done sinking money into it. Imagine my reaction when Noel called to tell me that the painter interpreted 'bonus room' as the room above the garage (the detached garage, mind you). Oh, livid didn't begin to describe my reaction. I was hot! And, let me just tell you, when I am furious about something I have blinders on...I don't like anything. (It's actually a poor personality trait I possess but at least I recognize it, right?) So when I walked into the house after possessing this knowledge (for I had only about 30 min to cool off before stepping foot in our homestead), I didn't like any of the colors. I ended up going back down to Lynchburg several days later when the plastic had been removed from the windows and the natural light was streaming in. Amazingly, that day the paint wasn't so terrible. Indy put me at ease and assured me that if I wanted to change anything that it was 'not a problem' (his favorite line). He is going to complete the painting in the garage because it doesn't need to be left unfinished. Needless to say, we will only be paying for half the work done in the garage. Crisis averted.


While I was there, our interior doors (Masonite doors whose design is title 'Riverside' -- so fitting for the two of us) and trim were delivered. It's starting to look more like a finished house than a frame. 


Indy also informed us that we need to be picking out tile. Ahhh! More decisions! So we found some tile for the utility room on sale at Home Depot. It's a porcelain tile, which apparently is quite a bit more durable than ceramic. We definitely need a durable tile in that high-traffic area. We think we've decided on bathroom tile but we may look a bit more just to be sure that what we've chosen is what we want. (Since obviously you can't just change tile like you can change paint.) And armed with our cabinet samples (because we have round two of those now and they look incredible), we have picked out a tile backsplash. All we have left to pick out are the pulls and knobs for the cabinets! And then we are finished with the kitchen! (Other than the appliances, of course, but that will be easy.)


The bank is about to drive us crazy. 
Dear ACB, We are fully aware of where ever penny is in this house. Please be informed that we have our own expense spreadsheet. We are a competent, educated, successful, and financially responsible couple. We feel that your incessant need to meet with us to 'discuss the construction process' is slightly ridiculous and benefits no one but your entity. You are not providing us with information that we do not already know. Also, do you not feel that it is a waste of your time to send 'an inspector' down to our house every time a bill is presented to you? Especially when you were just down there two days earlier. We realize that the banking system/housing market is botched. However, be aware that responsible citizens such as Noel and I do not fit in the category of greedy, gullible, financially irresponsible bankers or homeowners who have destroyed the trust in our banking system and housing market. Long story short, we've got it under control. Sincerely, Drs. Noel and Hannah White
(I think that pretty much sums it up! Whew! That was cathartic!)


We are both off this weekend, and it should be a BEAUTIFUL one. Hello Spring, oh, how we have missed you! Hopefully, we can load up on some vitamin D and make some final decisions that are still lingering. Our anticipated move-in date is the end of May now. At least it will be warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment