Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Almost there...

Goal: Make a contractor decision by the end of the week. 


Indy made it to the bank to pow-wow with Lou to get his s**t together for us. Pickle got back to us with a final number...well, sort of...he told Noel a round-about number but said he didn't have his papers with him so he wasn't absolutely sure. Boo hiss! Regardless, the number he told us was significantly lower than we had anticipated. We do feel that his bid is the most accurate because he was so detailed during the process.


This past weekend the Nashville Convention Center hosted the Nashville Home Show. Best thing in the world to go to if you're building a house. There were all sorts of retailers with displays from roofing and flooring to pest control and rain chains. Since Noel had to work, I dragged my mommy dearest with me to this thing. Mom can hone in on booths that are holding drawings for freebies. Man, she loves freebies. Here I am looking at these neat cabinets with my bag over my shoulder only to realize she's shoving a handful of free pens in my bag. I was admiring bamboo flooring and looked up to realize Mom has bee-lined it to the hot-tub dealer. No, she's not admiring the hot tubs, she's looking for a box to register for a free hot tub. That's my mom! The most informative company we talked to was a company out of Nolensville who installs geothermal heat pumps. Never even consider using geothermal, but it's green and can reduce your energy bills by (on average) 50% (can cut them up to 80%)! We are seriously considering it now. The unit is a bit more pricey on the front end but typically pays for itself within 5 years. Much better option than pricey solar panels that typically don't pay for themselves in a lifetime. (Nevertheless, I did register for free solar panels for the house. What?! Somebody's got to win. Might as well be me.) After all the walking and talking, we only did what two worn out puppies would do...we went to a bar and had a beer.


Building a house has caused us to acquire lots of magazines, brochures, samples, etc. We've had various piles of info material strewn all over our living room. I got really tired of shoving stuff under the coffee table just to get it out of the way...so I got inventive and resourceful. I climbed up into our attic, found an old moving box, and gave it life! Check out my imagination! I even made tabs out of the box flaps. Now everything is in one place and organized.




We've also been pondering bamboo flooring. We had Simple Floors (in Georgia) send us four samples. Even Soxy likes to give us his input since he's going to be spending more time on it than either of us. 



Check out the tongue!

No comments:

Post a Comment